Project Compass Workshops Minnesota Library Association Conference October 13, 2011
Useful nuggets and resources that can be used for improving Library services to job seekers and entrepreneurs:
The presentation of 21st Century Library Shifts provided a concise summary of how libraries are changing which I can use in discussing changes with my staff, my Library Board, and the City Council. (p 6 of the Project Compass Workforce Recovery Workshops booklet available on Web Junction.
The handout of 56 Things you (your library) can do provides a very useful quick list of ideas that can be further developed for supporting job seekers and small businesses.
Connecting with local (MN) resources was useful:
- MELSA Jobs & Small Business initiative Including jobs and small business resources pages on MELSA site. (Contact: Melinda Ludwiczak: Melinda@melsa.org, Chad Lubbers, firstname.lastname@example.org )
- Ramsey County Library Job Seeker and Small Business Assistance Project is developing a variety of services (Contact: Mary Moran: email@example.com )
- I was looking for curricula for computer training classes and was able to connect with someone who could provide outlines.
- One workshop participant reported that their local workforce center gave them copies of the Creative Job Search workbook.
Small business: The SCORE site has many resources for small business start-up and development, including business plan templates. www.score.org/resources
The Pathways (core services, job seekers, small business and personal finance) presented in the Project Compass Workbook provide a wealth of resources and examples for developing services. I will be spending time with the workbook and reviewing many of the examples to develop plans for our own services.
- Training on providing resources and information is available for library staff on Web Junction at www.webjunction.org/workforce-resources including archived webinars, handouts and articles. (Contact: Jennifer Peterson: firstname.lastname@example.org )
- The online version Project Compass Workforce Recovery Workshops includes live links to resources. This provides an easy way to review a wide variety of resources and examples.
Grand Rapids Area Library