The University of Minnesota Duluth’s Kathryn A. Martin Library and Friends of the Duluth Public Library are seeking nominations for the 31st Annual Northeastern Minnesota Book Awards (NEMBA).
The awards recognize books that are substantially representative of northeastern Minnesota in the areas of history, culture, heritage or lifestyle. For the purpose of the awards, northeastern Minnesota includes the following counties: Aitkin, Carlton, Cook, Itasca, Kanabec, Koochiching, Lake, Pine and St. Louis. Nominated books must have been originally released in 2018. A non-refundable $30 entry fee is required for each nominated title. For a complete list of eligibility requirements, please visit: z.umn.edu/nemba.
Nominations may be submitted in one of six categories:
- Nonfiction: nonfiction works such as history, biography, guidebooks, cookbooks, books about science and nature, and scholarly works.
- Fiction: novels, short stories, plays, and other works of narrative fiction.
- Art, Photography: books that primarily serve to showcase (and annotate) the visual art contained in them.
- Children’s Literature: books of any type intended for children and young adults.
- Poetry: collections of poetry or a single poem of book length.
- Memoir: books that examine some aspect of the world from a highly personal perspective.
The award prizes will include $200, 100 book seals and a plaque for the winning book in each category. Books receiving honorable mention in each category will be recognized with a plaque and 100 book seals.
For more information about nominating a title, please visit the NEMBA website: z.umn.edu/nemba.
An editable PDF version of the nomination form can be found here: https://lib.d.umn.edu/sites/lib.d.umn.edu/files/nomination_form_30th_-_editable.pdf.
Please print legibly or type when completing this form. Send the completed form along with one copy of each nominated book and the non-refundable $30 entry fee for each title to:
Kathryn A. Martin Library, UMD
Library Administration Office
416 Library Drive
Duluth, MN 55812
For information, call 218.726.7889 or email email@example.com. Nominations must be postmarked or delivered to the Kathryn A. Martin Library by February 1, 2019.
An awards reception honoring all nominated authors will be held on Thursday, May 23, 2019, at the Northland Country Club in Duluth. The reception is free and open to the public. Please visit the NEMBA site for more information.
You can view previous NEMBA winners here: https://lib.d.umn.edu/about/northeastern-minnesota-book-awards-nemba/nemba-previous-winners